Monday, March 28, 2011

Haywood County, North Carolina

George and I visited Waynesville, the county seat of Haywood County, on October 28, 2010. It was a beautiful fall day, and the first time to Waynesville for both of us. We found the newer Haywood County Courthouse first, but I was especially charmed by the OLD Haywood County Courthouse, so you'll find a couple of pictures of it below!

Haywood County was part of Buncombe County until 1808, and was named after former State (NC) Treasurer John Haywood.

If you've read the book Cold Mountain, by Charles Frazier, or seen the movie based on the book, you'll like knowing that there is a real Cold Mountain, and it's in Haywood County. George and I didn't go there, but here's a webcam of Cold Mountain.

I wonder what Wayneville's like in the spring! I'm ready to go back, but in the mean time, the rest of my Haywood County pictures are here!

Old Haywood County Courthouse

Old Haywood County Courthouse


Downtown Waynesville from Front of Old Courthouse
 
NC Education Association Started in Haywood County

Mural of Mountains Across the Seasons
"Old Time Music" in Downtown Waynesville

No comments: