Thursday, December 31, 2009

Alleghany County

On October 27, 2008, George and I enjoyed our drive through Alleghany County. The pictures below offer fun snapshots of the things we saw along the way. We especially enjoyed stopping at the Countrty Homestead, a fun example of a country store, filled with interesting crafts and things. The "Hocus Pocus Make 3 Witches" sign below was in that store.

I also enjoyed driving by a real pumpkin patch, pictured below. I don't know that I'd ever seen one in person before, but have always invisioned the pumpkin patch from "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"

Alleghany County got its name from the Alleghany Mountains, because it's totally within the Alleghany Mountain region of the state, up in the northwest corner of the state, next to Ashe County. Alleghany County also borders Virginia, and it's county seat is Sparta.

I saw a sign for the Alleghany Christmas Tree Association next to the pumpkin patch, and the picture is below. According to the website, Christmas trees are the biggest agricultural crop in Alleghany County! Who knew?! I think this is a pretty cool fact!







No comments: