Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hertford County, North Carolina

On July 1, 2008, I stopped in Murfeesboro, a town of about 200 people, on my way home from Merchants Millpond State Park. Murfreesboro is part of Hertford County, in the northeastern section of North Carolina. The county was formed in 1759, and Murfreesboro was named in 1787. Looking at a map of the county, it reminds me a little of a hightop sneaker!



This neat old house, which reminds me of a number of homes I saw in the area, actually houses the local Chamber of Commerce and another likeminded organization or two. This was actually my last stop in town, and the people inside were helpful, encouraging me to come back for the annual North Carolina Watermelon Festival in late July/early August. (That website needs to be updated.)


I don't remember what this building in Murfreesboro is, but it's part of the historic district. Love the white fence!









There's an old blacksmith shop as part of the historic district. The building is below.











Chowan University, an NCAA Division II university, is in Murfreesboro, but I didn't take the time to find it that afternoon.

Eventhough Murfreesboro's a small town, it does have some famous ties. Curtis Deloatch, a cornerback for the Carolina Panthers, was born in Murfreesboro. Walter Reed, the U.S. Army surgeon best known for his work on yellow fever (and has a military hospital named for him) was married in Murfreesboro.

The Meherrin Indian Tribe is located in Hertford County. Their 2008 powwow is coming up in late October, between Murfreesboro and Ahoskie. (Ahoskie, another town in Hertford County, has the distinction of being the only place named Ahoskie in the world.)

Another new factoid I've learned is that Hertford County is part of North Carolina's "Inner Banks," distinguishing itself from the Outer Banks region of the state.

No comments: